Query related to Closed Captioning Support in Gstreamer

TusharK csk18.jain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:40:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

Can you please help me with details on below queries related to closed
captioning support in gstreamer

1)	Can we stream “Closed Captioned” text separately as separate channel like
audio and video?
2)	Which streaming protocol (RTMP/RTSP/WebRTC etc.) support streaming of
“Closed Caption” text? Any recommendation would be really helpful
3)	Came across closed caption support in H264/H265 parser and encoder, this
is getting added as SEI Registered User Data. Can we use this feature to
stream the Closed Captioning information. At client / player side we are
planning to use gstreamer pipeline itself for decoding. Hope that this
closed caption data can be extracted and rendered properly. Is this
understanding correct?
4)	If we use WebRTC for streaming (H264 + closed captioning data inserted as
SEI data) then will browser able to decode this closed captioning data and
render it on HTML page canvas. Is this understanding correct?
5)	It would be great if you could share the example gstreamer pipelines
which demonstrates streaming and playback of closed captioned video? I gone
through some gstreamer forum posts but could not find the reference pipeline
along with the stream to be used.

Thanks,
Tushar