need help to understand the pipeline

i.nixman at autistici.org i.nixman at autistici.org
Fri Jul 16 12:15:25 UTC 2021

hello Maersk-Moller,

thank you very much for your answer!
but I have a few questions because something is not clear to me...

On 2021-07-16 10:52, Peter Maersk-Moller via gstreamer-devel wrote:
> Hi niXman
>
> You are in fact not retrieving JPEG encoded frames from your camera.
> Apparently your camera also supports a raw video format.

according to the documentation, the Omnivision OV5640 chip gives frames
in JPEG.
please explain why you think it is not so? how can i check in what
format i am receiving frames actually?

> Most likely this raw format is some sort of YUV format. You can find
> out by
> adding '-v' to gst-launch-1.0 and look for the format accepted by the
> videoconvert sink pad.

I tried, but I don't understand what I see...
when I specify "video/x-raw" in the output it is also "video/x-raw", and
when I specify "image/jpeg" in the output it is also "image/jpeg".
how can this be? the camera sends frames in both formats and gstreamer
just chooses which format to use? or how?

best!