RTSP Client sometimes doesn't send video (stream 0) packets to the client

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:00:15 UTC 2021

Investigate the RTSP session management exchange first, maybe that
will contain valuable information.

e,g,

1. did the client request the video
2. what transport mechanism is used (I'm guessing RTP over TCP)
3. do you get the same behaviour when using UDP, what about UDP/muticast

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 13:15, Renjith Thankachan (Software Development
- Telecom) <renjith.thankachan at matrixcomsec.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using gstreamer rtsp server in our streaming server.
>
> I would like to discuss & find a possible reason for one of the behaviors which we have observed while streaming our videos.
>
> - Our Streaming Server is deployed in a Windows 10 PC
> - We are using a single shared rtspmediafactory to stream our videos.
> - a video streamed via the gstreamer rtsp server was displayed in different vlc clients in different machines (around 20-30 clients)
> - we observed that in some clients the video was not displayed.
>
> Our analysis
>
> - We verified from wireshark(client end) that video packets were not received. audio was received
> - We verified from wireshark(server end) that audio packets were sent to client, but video packets were not sent
> - we observed that initially the video packets were sent/received for around 1 second but gstreamer stopped sending it (before stopping an ACK was received from the client with PSH bit on)
> - On enabling the gst debugs a warning was printed "already a queued data message for channel 0" - from do_send_data_list (rtsp-client.c)
> - though the stream in some clients were not displayed, in all other clients it was displayed properly
>

> Our Troubleshooting techniques
>
> - we replaced the client with ODM ( same behavior was observed )
> - we replaced the client PC ( same behavior was observed )
> - we shifted to a private network ( still same behavior was observed in some clients)
>

> Configurations used
> Camera Resolution :- 2048 X 1536 @ 30fps H.264 Codec
> TCP stream was rendered to the clients
> 1000 Mbps switch was used
> All client PC were windows 10 PC
>

> We are stuck with this analysis and trying to find the exact reason for the video disconnection.
>
> Please provide your valuable inputs for the above mentioned issue faced by us
>
> Regards
> Renjith Thankachan

g. Marc