practical usage of the sync property on sinks

Marianna Smidth Buschle msb at qtec.com
Wed Nov 3 12:55:52 UTC 2021

I get the basic usage of the sync property of sink elements, fx when
viewing a video from a live (camera) or file src.

I normally use sync=0 in the autovideosink when I have a live src
because my machine often has problems being able to display fast enough,
so sync=1 stutters.

While if I use a filesrc I know that sync=0 will play the file faster
than the fps, which doesnt happens with a live src since it cant produce
frames faster than the fps.

My question is what about other types of sink?
Where does it make sense to use true/false? Which consequences does it have?

Fx a udpsink when streaming?

Or an appsink?

Or a filesink?

--