Send/Receive data through SDI cable

Reinis Muižnieks reinis at xpresshd.com
Tue Sep 14 15:04:03 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have an interesting problem on my hands where I need to send data in one
direction and SDI seems to solve this issue. I would have a decklink card
at each end. 2 ways I see how to do it:

* Send information as byte stream. Rewrite each frame data with bytes I
have.
* Encode information in video as text and use OCR on other end.

I do prefer first approach as it is more efficient, tho seeing info in
video could be beneficial.

I was wondering if anyone has done something similar?
Are there any gstreamer plugins that could help me with this?
If I go with first approach do I have to worry about data corruption?

Maybe I over engineer stuff a bit and there is a better one way
communication that doesn't involve ethernet cable and firewall?

Thanks!