Send/Receive data through SDI cable

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 15:39:52 UTC 2021

> I have an interesting problem on my hands where I need to send data in one
> direction and SDI seems to solve this issue. I would have a decklink card
> at each end. 2 ways I see how to do it:
>
> * Send information as byte stream. Rewrite each frame data with bytes I
> have.
> * Encode information in video as text and use OCR on other end.
>
> I do prefer first approach as it is more efficient, tho seeing info in
> video could be beneficial.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has done something similar?
> Are there any gstreamer plugins that could help me with this?
> If I go with first approach do I have to worry about data corruption?
>
> Maybe I over engineer stuff a bit and there is a better one way
> communication that doesn't involve ethernet cable and firewall?
>
> Thanks!

Well if you insert eg subtitles then I would hope the decklink would be
able to encode those into a data packet on the SDI, eg as OP47 or SMPTE
2031 data, which the receiver could then decode.  And if you want visual
feedback you can get an SDI player that puts the subtitles onto the screen.

Cheers,
Simon