How verify good/ugly/bad plugin is properly installed in Windows

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:14:14 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Angela Yan <yanyan9 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nirbheek,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response. Currently my system does not have environment variable for GST_REGISTRY, do I need to add them manually?

This is just for debugging purposes. Simply set it in your terminal
and check if you see more plugins in the output.

> In addition, I would like to check how can we know which plugin is for which OS? Eg. I would like to try the uvsc264src plugin, but
> I was told that this plugin is for Linux only and not available in Windows.

That was me :)

> I could not find such information on its documentation page. https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/uvch264/uvch264src.html?gi-language=c
> uvch264src - GStreamer
> uvch264src. A camera bin src element that wraps v4l2src and implements UVC H264 Extension Units (XU) to control the H264 encoder in the camera
> gstreamer.freedesktop.org
>
> That leads me to think that whether my installation has installed all the plugins.

The documentation specifically says "wraps v4l2src". "v4l2" stands for
"video4linux2": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video4Linux

When in doubt, look at the code:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/-/blob/main/subprojects/gst-plugins-bad/sys/uvch264/meson.build#L11-14

Cheers,