Why can't I receive an RTP video stream produced by appsrc?

Michael Gruner michael.gruner at ridgerun.com
Thu Aug 4 22:49:46 UTC 2022

Your buffers have no timestamp information which makes the receiver unhappy, all the buffers are being dropped. You can verify this by modifying the receiver as:

#!/bin/bash
# receiver.sh

HOST=127.0.0.1
VIDEO_RTP_PORT=1234

VIDEO_CAPS="application/x-rtp,media=(string)video,clock-rate=(int)90000,encoding-name=(string)VP8"
VIDEO_DEC="rtpvp8depay ! vp8dec"
VIDEO_SINK="videoconvert ! glimagesink qos=false sync=false"

gst-launch-1.0 \
  rtpbin name=rtpbin \
  udpsrc caps=$VIDEO_CAPS address=$HOST port=$VIDEO_RTP_PORT ! perf name=rtp \
  ! rtpbin.recv_rtp_sink_0 rtpbin. \
  ! perf name=dec ! $VIDEO_DEC \
  ! perf name=display ! $VIDEO_SINK

Note the qos=false sync=false. Also I changed the autovideosink by a concrete sink (glimagesink in my system), because the autovideosink does not have the qos property exposed.

To fix this add monotonically increasing timestamps to your buffers in the broadcaster.