latency and delay measurement

Michael Gruner michael.gruner at ridgerun.com
Thu Aug 25 14:54:50 UTC 2022

Hello Saba

Here’s the GStreamer concept of latency:

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/additional/design/latency.html?gi-language=c <https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/additional/design/latency.html?gi-language=c>

In the network streaming context, the concept of latency can be extended to include the receiver end. More specifically: the time it takes for a sample to be captured, processed, transmitted through the network and finally rendered on the receiver (by a display, for example).

Delay on the other hand, is a bit ambiguous to me. Maybe the contribution of a single element to the overall latency.

Anyway, best of lucks in your final project.