gstreamer_gl (rust) on Windows

Steven Fontaine sir.fon1103 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 03:26:17 UTC 2022

>  The thing is that by default, GStreamer will create it's own OpenGL
> context at some unknown point in the future (generally on element set
> up).

This is one thing I was worried about. That said,

> 1. Connect to the 'create-context' signal on the relevant GstGLDisplay
> where you, move to the application thread (blocking), uncurrenting
> glutin's context, then creating GStreamer's OpenGL context, then
> recurrent glutin's OpenGL context (application thread), return to the
> 'create-context' thread and return the newly created GstGLContext.

should be doable. Since I was unsure where I needed to do the deactivation
and reactivation, I'm hoping this is the piece I was missing. I'll continue
experimenting with this, and if I manage to get something working, I'll
clean it up and submit an MR to allow the gstreamer examples to handle this
annoying windows edge case.

> I generally use apitrace on linux for recording/looking at GL state.
> There is a windows version but not sure exactly how well it works.

Thanks for this! I'll look into it. It looks promising.