gst-rtsp-server build failed - missing Gst-1.0.gir

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:04:17 UTC 2022

Hi,

gst-rtsp-server is already provided by the macOS pkg files. Why are
you trying to build it?

> Actually, after some trial and error, I discovered that the .gir files are not part of the 1.20 installers, they only appear in the 1.18 installer.

Yes, we switched to a universal arch framework with 1.20, and that
doesn't include the gir / typelib files.What do you need them for?
They're only needed for GStreamer Python and C# bindings, and you
absolutely do not need them to build any C/C++ code.

If you want to do gstreamer development (i.e., make changes to
gstreamer's code and use it in a development environment), you should
build using these instructions:

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/building-from-source-using-meson.html
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer#getting-started

The extra things you might need are certificates for Python 3:

pip3 install certifi

Then, set these env vars to tell Meson to not use pkg-config or cmake
to find system libraries (otherwise you will have breakage with
Homebrew dependencies):

export PKG_CONFIG=false
export CMAKE=false

Now you can build with meson: