Mux/demux or rtpbin?

Michiel Konstapel michiel at aanmelder.nl
Fri May 27 12:10:25 UTC 2022

I am sending Opus audio and H.264 video from a one process to another.
The first process produces the audio/video; the other process streams it
to multiple viewers using webrtcbins; ideally with minimal latency.

Currently, I am using rtpbins on each side to keep the audio and video
streams synchronized (rtph264pay and rtpopuspay on one end, depay on the
other). Would it be better or worse to instead mux the audio and video
into mpeg2ts, rtpmp2tpay, and send that? I tried it, it works, and it
seems a lot less complicated than an rtpbin and 4 udpsinks/sources.
However, webrtc also chose to send separate audio/video RTP streams,
instead of one muxed stream, so I am wondering if I am missing something
important. Latency perhaps? I think tsdemux can be set to 40 ms latency
if the muxing side is under my control.

Kind regards,
Michiel
--