GstProxy, compositor, and framerates...

Bill Hofmann bill at theliquidview.com
Fri Oct 7 21:32:29 UTC 2022

Folks:

Running into a challenge perhaps the insight of the list would help.  I'm
using compositor,  proxysrc and proxysink to mix two 4k h.265 10b streams
together (and animating alpha to fade from one to the other).

If I look at the framerate of each of the "source" pipelines using
fpsdisplaysink inline, they're showing pretty darn close to the source
framerate (29.97), but when I look at the output on the screen, the
framerate is around 10fps (if I put fpsdisplaysink after the compositor).

Note that when the alpha on one of two streams is 0, I
set_state(Gst.State.PAUSED), so I'd think that decoder performance wouldn't
constrain this in steady state, even if it does so during transitions.

The pipeline with a single stream directly to kmssink runs at source
framerate as well - *that's* fine.

Is this a problem with compositor? A problem with queueing?

Thoughts? What additional info would you need?  This is using a slightly
modified version of
https://github.com/matthew1000/gstreamer-cheat-sheet/blob/master/python_examples/gstproxy_02_playbin.py,
btw.

-Bill

Pipelines:

PIPELINE1 = """
souphttpsrc name="pipe1" location="
http://127.0.0.1/1D2E355A-BD2C-4807-91EA-4C2236D2DBED/0/early.m3u8" !
parsebin name=pb ! vaapih265dec !
video/x-raw,format=P010_10LE  ! proxysink name="video_sink"
pb. ! queue ! fdkaacdec ! scaletempo ! volume volume=0.9 ! proxysink
name="audio_sink"
"""

PIPELINE2 = """
souphttpsrc name="pipe2" location="
http://127.0.0.1/1D2E355A-BD2C-4807-91EA-4C2236D2DBED/0/late.m3u8" !
parsebin name=pb ! vaapih265dec !
video/x-raw,format=P010_10LE ! proxysink name="video_sink"
pb. ! queue ! fdkaacdec ! scaletempo ! volume volume=0.9 ! proxysink
name="audio_sink"
"""

PIPELINE3 = """
proxysrc name=video_src_1 ! videomix.
proxysrc name=audio_src_1 ! alsasink
proxysrc name=video_src_2 ! videomix.
proxysrc name=audio_src_2 ! alsasink
compositor name=videomix background=transparent ! queue !
kmssink connector-id=308 plane-id=31
"""