The future of the GStreamer Java bindings?

Neil C Smith neil at codelerity.com
Tue Feb 21 18:58:53 UTC 2023

Hi All,

I'd like to start a conversation on the future of the Java bindings
for GStreamer, gst1-java-core [1] and related projects. I've not been
able to put much time into the bindings recently. And despite seeing
an increasing number of commercial users of the library, none of
Codelerity's commercial work over the last 18 months has been
GStreamer related. That situation is not sustainable for me! At least
while I remain the sole maintainer, and primary developer and source
of support. Simply put, I cannot afford to invest for free, at least
alone, the level of time that is required to make necessary updates to
the library to meet changes in both Java and GStreamer.

I was one of the maintainers of the GStreamer 0.10 bindings for Java,
and started the GStreamer 1.x supporting fork in 2015 to meet some
personal project needs. I made the project openly available, but never
intended to stay its sole maintainer. Despite many valued
contributions from others over the years, no-one with the necessary
knowledge has volunteered to help on an ongoing basis with development
and maintenance - even with some heavy hinting at times!

Unfortunately, if we cannot find a sustainable way forward, then we
just might have to accept that it's time to call it a day on these
bindings. That would be a shame!

[1] https://github.com/gstreamer-java/gst1-java-core

Thanks for any input you have!

With best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Codelerity Ltd.

Codelerity Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales
Registered company number : 12063669
Registered office address : Office 4 219 Kensington High Street,
Kensington, London, England, W8 6BD