license of gstreamer plugin

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sat May 6 10:56:21 UTC 2023

On Sat, 2023-05-06 at 08:57 +0000, Zhi He via gstreamer-devel wrote:

Hi,

> I’m a developer of a gstreamer plugin for specific chip, may I ask
> some license questions of gstreamer plugin?
>
> 1) The gstreamer plugin shall follow same license with gstreamer
> (LGPL v2), is it true?

The GStreamer library license has  been chosen specifically to allow
plugins with a range of different licenses including proprietary
licenses.

So it's perfectly fine to write and ship proprietary plugins, for
example. And some hardware vendors do that already.

However, if you want to propose your gstreamer plugin for inclusion in
the upstream GStreamer project, we will usually ask for it to be
licensed LGPL v2+, MPL v2, BSD or MIT.

> 2) If 1) is no, the gstreamer plugin license can be other open source
> license like “Apache 2.0 License”, “BSD-2-Clause”, “BSD-3-Clause”,
> “MIT license”?

Correct.

> 3) If 1) is no, the gstreamer plugin license can be non-open source
> or property license?

That is also correct, and there are quite a few companies shipping
proprietary GStreamer plugins (hardware vendors and others).

Disclaimer: IANAL, and these are all things you should ask your lawyers
about :)

There are some notes on licensing our FAQ as well but they don't
address your questions specifically.

Cheers
 Tim