Choppy audio playing a videofile through webrtcsink

Vincent Deconinck vdeconinck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 00:13:55 UTC 2023

Hi,

Thanks for all the insightful answers. The log suggestion and the audio
frame timing issue triggered the idea of a few more tests.

Here are the tests I did today:
1. (set logging with GST_DEBUG=5). Ran the gstreamer server and the browser
with "choppy audio". The log is 350+MB and file writing clearly impacts the
playback (audio choppiness is increased and video becomes choppy too).
AFAICT however, the log shows no ERROR until the end of the video ("pause
task, reason: Flushing"). The zipped log is available on
https://we.tl/t-n3kLKluEXE
2. (still logging with GST_DEBUG=5) Changed the pipeline to only use the
audio from the webm trailer video file, and used a videotestsrc as the
video source => audio is still very choppy
3. (still logging with GST_DEBUG=5) Extracted the audio to a plain
uncompressed wav file (obtained with "ffmpeg -i sintel_trailer-480p.webm
sintel_trailer-480p.wav") and used this as the audio source and the
videotestsrc as the video source => audio is still very choppy
4. (no logging from here on) Same test: WAV file as the audio source and
the videotestsrc as the video source => audio is perfect !
5. Back to using the webm file as the audio source and the videotestsrc as
the video source => audio is choppy
6. Converted the source file (vp8+vorbis) to mpeg4 (h264+aac) with "ffmpeg
-i sintel_trailer-480p.webm sintel_trailer-480p.mp4" and used this as the
audio source and the videotestsrc as the video source => audio is "almost"
perfect (I can still hear a "drop" in the second drum at 00:16, which is
not present when playing the mp4 file locally with VLC).
7. Used the mp4 as source for both video and audio => Fails with "Error
received from element wsink: There is no codec present that can handle the
stream's type.". Seems h264 video is not recognized ?
8. Converted the source file (vp8+vorbis) to a ts (mpeg2video+ac3) with
"ffmpeg -i sintel_trailer-480p.webm -acodec ac3 -vcodec mpeg2video
sintel_trailer-480p.ts" and used it for both video and audio => Fails with
"There is no codec present that can handle the stream's type".
Seems mpeg2video is also not recognized ?
9. Baked an alternate webm file using opus instead of vorbis with "ffmpeg
-i sintel_trailer-480p.webm -strict -2 -acodec opus -vcodec copy
sintel_trailer-480p_opus.webm" => audio/video is perfect !

OK. What did I learn ?
- a lack of resources (e.g. heavy logging) causes choppiness. My PC is
quite good though (core i9 3.6GHz 32GB w/ GeForce RTX 2060) but maybe
logging chokes gsteamer.
Regarding audio codecs :
- Vorbis causes atrocious choppiness.
- AAC is almost OK
- Wav and Opus are perfect
Regarding video codecs:
- It seems this pipeline only accepts vp8 as input

Questions:
My source files being either mpeg4 (with aac or ac3 audio) or even MXF (and
conversion beforehand not being an option),
- How can I convert the videos on the fly ?
- Isn't vconvert meant to perform the conversion if required ?

Sorry again for the newbie questions...

Kind regards,

Vincent