Choppy audio playing a videofile through webrtcsink

Vincent Deconinck vdeconinck at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 02:10:46 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm still stuck with the inability to stream h264 video to webrtcsink, but
I've done a bit of research.

The issue is similar to this one albeit in slightly different context:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-rs/-/issues/411
"livekitwebrtcsink: failure to negotiate h264"
Starting from gstreamer's most obvious error log "There is no codec present
that can handle the stream's type.", we get to webrtcsink's error "Error
running discovery: No caps found for stream video_0" triggered by
start_stream_discovery_if_needed (in webrtcsink\imp.rs)
Increasing the log level, this error is preceeded by 4 times the following
warning:
net\webrtc\src\webrtcsink\imp.rs:3226:gstrswebrtc::webrtcsink::imp::BaseWebRTCSink::lookup_caps::{{closure}}:<wsink>
Codec discovery pipeline failed: Linking encoding elements
The message "Codec discovery pipeline failed" is logged from lookup_caps(),
and if I understand this code correctly, there are two cases:
- either "Stream is already encoded with [a supported] codec", and it works
out of the box without trying to look up caps (that's what happens when
input is vp8)
- or the incoming stream uses another codec (h264 or mpeg2video in my
tests), and the code tries to enumerate the caps, which fails.
Does this make sense ?

I'm willing to help (I have zero Rust experience but always eager to learn)
and I was able to rebuild the plugin from the sources, but I don't know how
to tell gstreamer to use my home-brewed webrtcsink instead of the one in
the gstreamer distribution.
Is it statically linked in the gstreamer build ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KR,

Vincent