[gst-embedded] aacparse and amrparse license in gst-plugin-bad

LIANG ZHAO e3423c at motorola.com
Wed Apr 21 18:31:47 PDT 2010

Thanks Stefan.

I am not familiar with OSS license, but I know the LGPL has "Redistribute"
feature. That means if some commercial products have integrated it, we can
use it freely and safety according "Redistribute".

By my search on google, I find maemo5 and Fedora have integrated
gst-plugin-bad, so by my understanding, it should be ok for me too on
gst-plugin-bad.

>From gstreamer website, it describes gst-plugin-bad not like
gst-plugin-ugly.

"GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that have good quality and
correct functionality, but distributing them might pose problems. The
license on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be how
we'd like. The code might be widely known to present patent problems.  "

" GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared
to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing
something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a
real live maintainer, or some actual wide use. "

Seems gst-plugin-bad has no license issues but not good quality than
gst-plugin-ugly.

2010/4/21 Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de>

> Liang Zhao wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone help me on aacparse and amrparse license in
> > gst-plugin-bad? I want to integrate these 2 elements into our product,
> > but I don't know whether the LGPL is the license issue?
>
> You find the lices stated in the plugin and also at thye top of the
> source files. It is up to you to decide wheter LGPL is fine for you or not.
> >
> > I find in maemo5 SDK ARMEL binary, they are integrated into it, and
> > marked as LGPL, does that mean I can use it freely and safely on law?
> > I also find no mp3parse and asfdemux in it, does that mean it is have
> > issues on the LGPL license? or I need to re-implement it with
> > proprietary license.
> mp3parse should be fine as LGPLK and should be moved out
> gst-plugins-ugly. for asf you find licese details on microsoft webpages.
>
> Stefan
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > BRs.
> > Zhao Liang

Zhao Liang

No.1 Wang Jing East Road Chao Yang District
Beijing, 100102 China
+86-10-84733698