[Gstreamer-openmax] question about gstopenmax

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at nokia.com
Mon Aug 6 04:37:59 PDT 2007

Hi Victor,

On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 11:26 -0500, ext Victor Manuel Jáquez Leal wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I've been glancing the gstopenmax code and found, in the filter
> object, for processing the output callbacks you create another thread.
> In the old days of GOmx, the same OMX thread, under the FillBufferDone
> callback, was used to process the buffer directly.  I know that is
> against the spec recommendation, but it seemed to work right. And it
> was accord to the Occam's razor ;)

AFAIK the specification doesn't mention anything regarding the use of
threads. They can be used, or not; that's implementation details.

> So, my question is, is there another reason to add this thread besides
> the spec adherence?

I guess I added it because of some issues when I was implementing
Zero-Copy, but it might not be necessary anymore.

Some quick tests show that it can be removed, but I still have to check
further.

Thanks for pointing that out. Less threads makes things easier.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras