NTFS permissions are wrong using fstab-sync?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Aug 18 14:56:35 PDT 2004

Hey,

Dude, please fix your timezone/clock etc., it's two hours ahead,

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 23:38 +0000, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> my fstab using utopia:
>
> /dev/floppy/0           /media/floppy           auto
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui d 0 0
> /dev/hda8               /media/idedisk          vfat
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui d 0 0
> /dev/hdd                /media/cdrw_dvdrw       auto
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui d,ro 0 0
> /dev/hda6               /media/idedisk1         vfat
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui d 0 0
> /dev/hda1               /media/idedisk2         ntfs
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui d 0 0
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrw             auto
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui d,ro 0 0
> /dev/hda7               /media/idedisk3         vfat
> noauto,user,exec,dev,sui
>

> I can look into the vfat mounts but not in ntfs there it gives a error
> telling me I don't have the necessary permissions.

The options should probably be tuned a bit - ideally I want fstab-sync
to be able to read options from the users session or something. One
thing that would be nice, would be to use option 'sync' on usbsticks,
but not on usb harddrives. Tricky, we'll probably need to look at the
size or some other heuristic.

Regarding NTFS, I dunno; perhaps patching mount(1) so it accepts an
option to set udi,gid=$USER would be worthwhile to hack on.

> Maybe the problem is in GVM?

No, g-v-m runs in your session, it's fstab-sync.

> PS: I would rather have them having the volume names like movies, music
> or something else.

You can always add your own entries and build hal with --enable-fstab-
noop so it doesn't delete such entries [1]. Another interesting feature
would be the ability to add stable mount point names.

However, I don't think both features matters much eventually; the UI
shouldn't be exposing the mount point name and it should use the UDI as
the stable reference to the media. But that's something for the
future :-).

David

[1] : you need to ensure that mount(1) accepts the noop kudzu; that
should probably be configurable from hal's configure.in; care to send a
patch?