Can't burn CD when hald is running

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jul 5 02:27:35 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 12:00:59PM +0300, Dorin Lazar wrote:
> On Monday 05 July 2004 11:51, Ikke wrote:
> > I wonder whether this has a link with the fact he's using SCSI devices?
> > Anyone got this problem on IDE writers? Can't test, got no CD writer.
>   Hello all,
> The problem might be located elsewhere, either the driver (for SCSI
> emulation at least), cdrecord or whatever writing program one
> uses. It also depends a bit on the hardware. I had the same problem
> with a sort-of-autorun program written by me that made writings fail
> only on certain hardware (NECs, to be more precise, but might not be
> the only one, more details upon request).

Right, OK, seems like there is no way around this; I wonder if it's
a driver bug or hardware and whether this can be resolved by fixing
the driver; kernel people?

> Perhaps the writing programs should be able to 'lock better' the
> device?

Having cd burning applications lock the device using hal is the plan
in the future, yes. That way, hal knows not to poll for media when
the device is locked. Of course, this is only an advisory lock, any
application not using hal could ruin everything like we do today; oh
well.

Cheers,
David