Goals for 0.3.0

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Fri Jul 30 08:28:27 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 04:09 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> I started to look into the hard disk serial number thing. For ide it
> seems as easy as the attached program. For scsi it would be about three
> pages of code.
>
> But while thinking about, I not sure anymore, that we want it. Do we
> really need stable udi's for the disk itself? Isn't it just fine to use
> the topological position for the drive-udi? Then the drive-udi changes,
> while moving the disk around, but all what we really need to care are
> about, are the udi's of the volumes. Here we have labels and uuid's to
> create a stable udi, to find the already stored HAL-properties.

I think topological is probably fine if the individual partitions
themselves are uniquely identified (by uuid or label or somesuch).

It still kind of sucks for things like CD writers, though.  Ideally apps
would want to save some preferences (like write speed, eject or mount
when finished, etc.) and have those persist even if you move it around.
In reality it's probably not that important, but it's a nice feature to
have.

Joe