hal doesn't like my Atheros card.

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Wed Jun 2 14:27:57 PDT 2004

Joe Shaw wrote:
> Someone else at Ximian had this problem, and it appeared to be a race
> with sysfs.  I don't have one of those devices so it's hard for me to
> debug it.

Well, I can help. If you have extra budget, they're good cards for
somehting that costs 99 CDN (about 80 USD?), from d-link, as a minipci
card on a real pci card. Anyway...

> Here's a patch which brings hald up with the latest stable libsysfs
> release and fixes a bunch of private uses we were using in hald.  I'd
> appreciate it if you could apply it and see if that fixes the problem
> for you.  If so, I'll merge it in.

It helped insofar as the load order seems to have changed. Much, much
more flies by before the error happens. But, in the end, the same thing
kills it.

I'm curious what leads you to believe it is timing within libsysfs.

Can something be done to circumvent prodding of this device?

Errors like this should be catchable, based on the following output:

[W] linux/net_class_device.c:258 mii_get_link() : Error reading link info
[E] linux/net_class_device.c:173 mii_get_rate() : SIOCGMIIPHY on
failed: No such device
(process:13132): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance with invalid (NULL)
class pointer

--Pat