volume.fstype cleared after unmount

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 23 16:20:40 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 01:09 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Then that tool better tell HAL :-), seriously, at some point point we're
> > probably going to add "Rename" support to Nautilus and other file
> > managers anyway (the Rename is greyed out in Nautilus today), so we can
> > just do it there and 99% users would use that. So there!
>
> Reformat and Label change are the same problem, I think. A reformatter
> should also tell HAL... :)

Good point.

> Shouldn't we clear the label+uuid+fstype all at once or nothing. I
> personally like the attributes before the mount.

Yeah me too, let's keep it then. It's a special case really, so best
left as future exercise :-)

> Don't we have still the
> greyed icons for unmounted volumes, even with the gnome-vfs patch? So it
> may be nice to know whats behind...

The current gnome-vfs patch shows only the drive name (or some computed
name like CD-RW/DVD-ROM), not volume names when the volume is not
mounted. But this might change at some point.

Another reason I'd like to keep the volume name is that this could be
used in the fstab updating mechanism, e.g. my CF card used in my Canon
camera should be mounted at /media/CANON_DC cause CANON_DC is the title
of the disc. OTOH, discs and floppies should be mounted at /media/
CDRW_DVDROM and /media/floppy cause they have no partitions. We could
also mount them at /media/<volname>, I guess this decision is to be made
by the fstab updater script. But this is for another thread :-)

Cheers,
David