Starting hal daemon incredibly decrease my hard drive performance

Alexis Muller xaelis at free.fr
Mon Nov 1 00:44:47 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm using Gentoo with udev working. If i start the hal daemon my hard
drive performance are incredibly decrease.
Exemple :

joshua xaelis # hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   1400 MB in  2.00 seconds = 699.06 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   72 MB in  3.02 seconds =  23.84 MB/sec

joshua xaelis # /etc/init.d/hald start
* Starting Hardware Abstraction Layer
daemon ...                           [ ok ]

joshua xaelis # hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   1392 MB in  2.00 seconds = 694.37 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   10 MB in  3.38 seconds =   2.96 MB/sec

And perf return to normal when i stop hald...
Exactly the same if i start hal daemon by hand.

I've try a 2.6.8 and a 2.6.9 kernel.

Besides that hal works well, but i can't use hal in this condition :-(

Have you any idea on this blocking problem ?