Starting hal daemon incredibly decrease my hard drive performance

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Nov 1 09:01:33 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 17:47 +0100, Alexis Muller wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 10:34 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I cannot reproduce this; this is what I'm getting on Fedora with what is
> > close to HAL CVS (hal-0.4.0-10)
> [...]
> > What version of hal are you using?
>
> Yes i know, i have 3 PC, and this problem only happened on my laptop (a
> Dell C840).
> I'm using hal 0.4
>
> My IDE controller on the laptop is  :
>
> joshua ~ # lspci -v | grep IDE
> 0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100 (rev 02)
> (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
>
> How i can locate the problem ?

Not sure, it doesn't happen for me and I haven't got any reports from
either Fedora or Ubuntu users about this so I'm not convinced hal is
causing this to happen. FWIW, we don't even poll these drives anymore as
hal as of 0.2.98 or something respects the /sys/block/hda/removable
file. If you find out what is causing this please let us know.

Good luck,
David