Starting hal daemon incredibly decrease my hard drive performance

Alexis Muller xaelis at free.fr
Mon Nov 1 09:39:59 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:01 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
[...]
> Not sure, it doesn't happen for me and I haven't got any reports from
> either Fedora or Ubuntu users about this so I'm not convinced hal is
> causing this to happen. FWIW, we don't even poll these drives anymore as
> hal as of 0.2.98 or something respects the /sys/block/hda/removable
> file.

I've just try with 0.2.98, i've the same problem.
I've also try to compile hal with no optimization (CFLAGS="") but also
the same :-(

I've done my tests with no other program or daemon running (except
dbus).

The problem not happened with my external hard drive (firewire)

> If you find out what is causing this please let us know.

I don't know exactly who works hald...
Have you any idea what other tests can i do ? Older kernel ?