writing some kind of driver for hal

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Nov 1 09:07:37 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 01:26 +0300, Dan Korostelev wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a portable audio player iRiver iFP-790. It has a
> non-UMS firmware (it also has a UMS-version of firmware,
> but it's currently buggy and it's slower than non-UMS).
>
> There's a driver for linux that implements a mountable
> filesystem for that player [1]. It doesn't create any
> devices, it just works when mounting "none" to some
> mountpoint with "iriver" filesystem type.
>
> HAL is not aware of that, so it just shows the "USB interface"
> for the device. The question is how register a mountable volume
> for this device? As I understood, HAL can run a program for
> specified device that will register a new volume device, but how
> to write that program is a question for me, is there any docs
> for that?

If the driver for the device is a userspace driver, like ifp appears to
be, it seems that you need to integrate support for this into every
music player (e.g. Rhythmbox) you want to support. You can use HAL FDI
files to tag the USB device, see

 http://freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#device-properties-portable_audio_player
 http://freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#fdi-example-mp3player

for more information. I'm not sure you would need hal to do this though.
It would be nice if there was a single library for this much like what
libgphoto2 is for cameras.

Cheers,
David