freeze on Dell Inspiron 700m

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Nov 10 10:13:54 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 10:03 -0800, Stephen Lau wrote:
> Hrm...I think it seems like a different bug...both of those bugs say
> that just the process hangs, they are still able to kill it and re-run
> hald as you noted.
>
> My problem is that hal causes the entire machine to lock-up and
> freeze.  i.e.: completely unresponsive, and i have to power it off.

OK, this indicates that hald is triggering a bug somewhere in the
kernel. Does the kernel oops?

> i ran it with hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes and saw it dump a bunch
> of output, the last thing i saw was something about looking at
> sys/net/eth0 or something.  how can i capture this output?  if i try
> to redirect it to a file it won't get sync'd out and written to disk
> before the machine freezes, so i don't really get anything i can save.

Logs would be useful such that we can work around this; if you have a
second box you may also SSH from that one to the logs in your terminal
on the non-crashing box.

Please also attach the contents of 'tree /sys'.

Thanks,
David