freeze on Dell Inspiron 700m

Stephen Lau steve at grommit.com
Wed Nov 10 10:27:36 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:13:54PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> OK, this indicates that hald is triggering a bug somewhere in the
> kernel. Does the kernel oops?

Nope...the whole system just becomes non-responsive.  I don't see any
kernel panics/oops displayed.

> > i ran it with hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes and saw it dump a bunch
> > of output, the last thing i saw was something about looking at
> > sys/net/eth0 or something.  how can i capture this output?  if i try
> > to redirect it to a file it won't get sync'd out and written to disk
> > before the machine freezes, so i don't really get anything i can save.
>
> Logs would be useful such that we can work around this; if you have a
> second box you may also SSH from that one to the logs in your terminal
> on the non-crashing box.
>
> Please also attach the contents of 'tree /sys'.

This is where it gets interesting....remember how I said the last
thing I was this:

10:23:02.167 [I] linux/osspec.c:785: handling /sys/class/net/eth0 net

my laptop has two NICs, eth0: a built-in Broadcom 10/100 port nic.
and eth1, the Intel 2200BG wireless nic.  normally i boot with both
disabled, and i dhclient eth1 after bootup.  since you suggested
ssh'ing in, i turned on eth0 and plugged in a cable and got an IP addr
via dhcp.  running HAL works now.... it won't crash the system
anymore.  so it looks like HAL doesn't like to work when eth0 is down.
unfortunately, this means i can't get you a log since eth0 is down at
the moment.  (i can't ssh in via the wireless NIC right now due to our
network routing in our office... i can get it tonight when i go home
though)

anyway. very interesting. i can workaround this i guess by bringing
eth0 up at boot time before HAL starts, and then bringing it down
afterwards in rc.local or something - but a better solution should be
found.

is there a way to tell HAL to not probe/handle eth0?

-steve
--
stephen lau | steve at grommit.com | www.whacked.net | gpg 0x09E5CD21