Getting notified about CD/DVD media

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Apr 8 14:29:28 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 19:09 +0200, Davide Bolcioni wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am attempting to find how to get notified about CD/DVD media
> availability in non-desktop circumstances, e.g. an operator walks to a
> server and inserts a blank DVD which then becomes a candidate for backups.
>
> I asked on the fedora-devel list, and the advice was to (a) use D-BUS,
> but (b) keep in mind that D-BUS just relays what HAL reports, so it is
> HAL which I should look up. I had a stab at
>
>    dbus-monitor --system
>
> and could see CD/DVD related events being reported. I was wondering if
> there was some kind of specification I could code against and rely on
> in the future.

Take a look at

 http://freedesktop.org/Software/hal

specifically the 0.4 spec (most distros ship hal 0.4.x) for which there
is a snapshot here

 http://people.redhat.com/davidz/hal-spec/hal-spec.html

Things will likely change (but not too much) until we hit 1.0, but then
we'll freeze all the API's.

You may also want to look at gnome-volume-manager here

 http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-volume-manager/

as g-v-m does somewhat what you want to do.

Good luck,
David