Getting notified about CD/DVD media

Davide Bolcioni dbolcioni at 3di.it
Fri Apr 8 10:09:12 PDT 2005

Greetings,
I am attempting to find how to get notified about CD/DVD media
availability in non-desktop circumstances, e.g. an operator walks to a
server and inserts a blank DVD which then becomes a candidate for backups.

I asked on the fedora-devel list, and the advice was to (a) use D-BUS,
but (b) keep in mind that D-BUS just relays what HAL reports, so it is
HAL which I should look up. I had a stab at

   dbus-monitor --system

and could see CD/DVD related events being reported. I was wondering if
there was some kind of specification I could code against and rely on
in the future.

Thank your for your consideration,
Davide Bolcioni
--