Multiuser device support

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:58:09 PDT 2005

On 8/2/05, Artem Kachitchkine <Artem.Kachitchkin at sun.com> wrote:
> OTOH, the separating of user sessions should probably be HAL's
> responsibility. For instance, hotplug events from one user session
> should not be visible to another. Our work is still very preliminary,
> but we're leaning towards having per-session D-BUS instances, with HAL
> presenting each session with a subset of Global Device List according to
> the session-device assignment.

Something needs to sort this out. The hotplug events coming from an
operator taking SCSI drives offline are of a completely different
class than a user plugging in a mouse. You really shouldn't be able to
see events for devices that you don't have permission to use.

We need to start thinking multiuser now so that we don't end up with
something that is completely single user centric.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com