Multiuser device support

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 2 19:36:25 PDT 2005

Jon,

I'm interested what David and other folks have to say, but I'd like to
note that we're trying to solve an even more general problem (multi-seat
being one of a few interesting special cases):

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2005-July/002721.html

One thing to keep in mind is that HAL avoids enforcing any policies. To
me, the exact algorithm by which devices are associated with users
or/and user sessions is a policy. HAL can have a special set of
properties/methods to support such policy, though.

OTOH, the separating of user sessions should probably be HAL's
responsibility. For instance, hotplug events from one user session
should not be visible to another. Our work is still very preliminary,
but we're leaning towards having per-session D-BUS instances, with HAL
presenting each session with a subset of Global Device List according to
the session-device assignment.

There doesn't seem to be a generic way to automatically associate a
screen with input devices, modulo special cases like keyboard/mouse
plugged into the monitor's  built-in hub. It would be nice to have a
flexible HAL mechanism to allow sysadmins establish their own policy.

-Artem.