HAL methods at storage device level, to mount/unmount/eject volumes

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Dec 12 09:58:08 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:53:17AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 15:25 +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > > Am I missing something? I really don't see use cases for the fs type
> > > parameter...
> > *?*
>
> So I think Ervin got a good point here. Really, all the desktop wants to
> do is to mount some physical volume into the file-system and that's it.
>
> Hence, the suggestion about moving policy-decision about whether to use
> the in-kernel ntfs driver or the captive user-space stuff, down to the
> hal helper script for mounting sounds pretty good to me. You can even
> test for the presence of these tools and it'll just work even if the
> user installs this post-OS-installation.
>
> What is wrong with doing that?

Well what's wrong with having it? It's a user policy if you want to use
fuse or subfs and not a system-wide config option. It should even be possible
to configure that policy in the user session for specific devices. The mount
script is not supposed to look-up data in the user session, right?

Thanks,
Kay