A user question /media mounting

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 3 06:35:56 PST 2005

For Christmas I got an iPod mini. Big improvement over my mp3 CD
player.

I'm running FC3 and using gtkpod to sync.
Whenever I plug it in, it mounts in /media and gives me an icon on the
desktop. I do not want this behavior.

I'm going through the document at
http://people.redhat.com/davidz/hal/0.4/hal-spec.html but have not yet
figured out how to stop the auto mount.

Primary reason for not wanting the auto mount is that the file system
is vfat and does not preserve permissions, and other people - including
kids - use the machine. It would bother me for one of them to
accidentally fubar the iPod because Hal mounted it with them having
write permission on the device.

Other reason - I want to launch gtkpod, let it mount the iPod, do my
stuff, quit, and disconnect. I can do all I need with autofs and a
timeout. I don't want to have to unmount the volume from the desktop
before disconnecting it, or anything like that.

When I kill the hal daemon, it does not mount automagically - and
gtkpod works exactly as I want it to, but I want hal to be there for
other things for obvious reasons.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to tell hal
(preferably globally, not just for my user) or whatever does the /media
mounting to ignore iPods?