I18N volume labels

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 3 08:12:11 PST 2005

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 17:16 +1300, leon breedt wrote:
> hi,
>
> does HAL support I18N volume labels? i don't know what the standard
> for encoding these are (i.e. on ISO9660 volumes), but i have CD with a
> Korean label (Joliet L3), but the label shows up as all underscores
> when i do an lshal, so on the desktop too.
>
> korean works elsewhere though.

It would be useful if you could post the output of

 dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1 count=512 skip=32768 | hexdump -C

where you should exchange /dev/cdrom with the device file for your cdrom
drive. Also, what is the label supposed to read? What is the disc named
on other operating systems, e.g. Windows or Mac OS X?

David