acpi namespace

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 07:51:02 PST 2005

I am thinking of using HAL for ACPI devices, such as BAT and ACAdaptor.

I've read up as much as I can from this mailing list, and wanted to ask some
questions:

According to hal-spec.html, bus is a physical device.

Would it be wrong to create a bus called "acpi" that all the other ACPI objects
can be connected to?

With this in place, selected ACPI devices can be added one at a time, such as
"ac_adaptor" and "battery". Instead of working out every permutation of battery
in the world and wondering where it would be used, I think we should create the
ac_adaptor with "charging" and a simple battery with "charge" and then expand it
from that. With the ACPI bus added (later also PMU?) the device tree would start
to grow.

With the ACPI and PMU busses, the PowerManager project that has been proposed by
 Davyd Madeley could query these interfaces, and provide a high level DBus
implementation of Suspend() and SetLCDBrightness() etc.

Comments please.

Hughsie