VFAT Volume Labels

joeny at softhome.net joeny at softhome.net
Thu Jan 6 01:42:04 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have FAT32 partitions on my drive and upon adding the appropriate
lines to fstab, I was able to successfully mount the partitions.

Now under Gnome, double-clicking on the desktop Computer icon, the
partitions shows up as the following:

10G Hard Drive
20G Hard Drive
9.5G Hard Drive

Mounting them resulted to:

10G Hard Drive: 10G Media
20G Hard Drive: 20G Media
9.5G Hard Drive: 9.5G Media

Wasn't it supposed to display the drive's volume labels after the
colons? The labels are properly set under Windows 98SE.

On my computer at home, I get something like '??ty??_?K?' as the
volume label on one of my FAT32 partition? But if I removed the label
(LABEL.EXE), I get NO NAME. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Joeny

AMD Duron 1100
Fedora Core 3