RFC: ACPI namespace

Robert Wittams robert at wittams.com
Sat Jan 8 07:17:40 PST 2005

Sjoerd Simons wrote:

>> I wanted to leave the throttling specifics until later, because it varies
>> wildly between models of laptops. AFAIK some laptops can only set
>> pre-defined frequencies (like 800MHz, 400MHz, 200MHz) and others can scale
>> pretty much as they like. Tell me if I'm wrong.
> Your right. I would need to checkout if i can get that info, but if the kernel
> knows it it should be possible :).. It would be nice if we could represent both
> cases in hal..

How about an allowed_frequencies property. This can have a list of
single frequencies and ranges.  This can be done as a simple string:
Examples:
"1000-2000"
"200,600,800"
"200-300,400-500,800"

(I don't think there is any more appropriate type for this...)

This should be simple enough for anyone to parse... then HAL can ignore
or error on any unmentioned frequencies.

Rob