seemingly random hald system freeze

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 17 08:37:05 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 23:31 -0500, Emily Brantley wrote:
> i know this is mostly a dev list, but i'm not sure where else to turn
> with this problem (maybe some help with THAT would be appreciated).

I think it's OK to report defects like this on this list - I do have
a couple of bugs sitting in RH bugzilla about this,

> every OTHER boot, haldaemon completely locks up my system.  I use Fedora
> Core 3 on a Dell Inspiron 5160 with all the updates installed that are
> available.  it only happens every other boot.  i'm completely sure that
> it's hal.  when this happens, no messages are printed out to the
> console, and absolutely nothing happens.  the computer simply stops
> working (X locks up, no input from keyboard and mouse).
>
> my question is, how do i even begin to learn what's going wrong ?  i
> can't even ssh into the computer at this point.  only holding the power
> button to turn it off works.
>
> http://www.swineworld.org/inspiron5160/ <==  corroborates this too
> (though the problem has nothing to do with X, as this guy seems to
> think... it's only that the haldaemon lockup takes a few seconds to
> occur so the two events seem to coincide)
>
> how do i begin ?  thanks.

OK, since this is a hard lock up it really looks like a driver issue.
My only guess is that it's the networking driver as networking is the
only place where we really access the hardware directly (for mii
probing)

Ma