seemingly random hald system freeze

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 17 08:42:52 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 11:37 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> OK, since this is a hard lock up it really looks like a driver issue.
> My only guess is that it's the networking driver as networking is the
> only place where we really access the hardware directly (for mii
> probing)

(accendently sent this message before finishing it; here is the
follow up)

Try moving the kernel modules for your networking cards out of the
way; here's one way to do it

  lshal |grep "net.linux.driver"

On my system I get

  lshal version 0.4.2
    net.linux.driver = 'e1000'  (string)
    net.linux.driver = 'airo'  (string)

OK, now go the the directory (the backquotes are important)

  cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`

On my system it's

 /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.1087_FC4

Now go to kernel/drivers/net subdir and move out any files ending
in .ko with the names you got above (move them to /root or something).
The files on my system are: e1000/e1000.ko wireless/airo.ko

Does the problem go away? Also, remember to move the appropriate
.ko files back after this.

Thanks,
David