improving digital camera detection

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere at teaser.fr
Mon Jan 17 14:45:44 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:38 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Exactly; I think the root problem is that USB cameras give the same
> USB vendor_id and product_id regardless of the camera is set to PTP
> and Mass Storage, right?

As far as I know, NO. Perhaps a couple of exception, but I don't have
them, and can't find them.
All the camera I have referenced at
<http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html> have different IDs
in USB Storage than in PTP.

Some (very few) Olympus cameras apparently can be tricked tu use their
own protocol over the USB Mass Storage interface, but only for capture
and remote control. A bit weird. They still behave as USB Mass Storage.

And Canon have both the canon protocol and PTP implemented
transparently. They still behave as PTP.

> This is exactly what Pozsar's massstorage.fdi file does, it checks
> if the USB device is in the Mass Storage setting and adjusts the
> properties accordingly so HAL gives the right information.

Just check for the USB device class as found on the USB bus, that is all
you need.

Hub
--
Crazy French - http://www.figuiere.net/hub/