improving digital camera detection

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 17 14:38:53 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:15 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:01 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > That said, support in libgphoto2 would be nice so that various photo
> > management programs don't have to roll their own.
>

> The problem is that the camera list is getting longer everyday, and that
> this conflicts with hard drives, USB keys, etc. that really look the
> same as there is no way to tell if what kind of storage it is....

Exactly; I think the root problem is that USB cameras give the same
USB vendor_id and product_id regardless of the camera is set to PTP
and Mass Storage, right?

This is exactly what Pozsar's massstorage.fdi file does, it checks
if the USB device is in the Mass Storage setting and adjusts the
properties accordingly so HAL gives the right information.

Cheers,
David