improving digital camera detection

Pozsar Balazs pozsy at uhulinux.hu
Mon Jan 17 14:58:43 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 05:15:41PM -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:01 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > That said, support in libgphoto2 would be nice so that various photo
> > management programs don't have to roll their own.
>

> The problem is that the camera list is getting longer everyday, and that
> this conflicts with hard drives, USB keys, etc. that really look the
> same as there is no way to tell if what kind of storage it is....

Please also note that treating for example a CF card in a card reader as
a "camera" is not that bad idea. Why? Because it well may contain photos
waiting to be imported to the computer.

Do not misunderstand me: I think HAL should NOT mark card readers and
such as cameras. It should mark cameras, and only cameras as a camera.
But bear in mind that not only cameras can have photos to be
imported/viewed/etc.

(And for example, Mac OS X handles CF card perfectly, if I insert a card
with photos on it, it starts iphoto and I can import photos from it with
a single click.)

--
pozsy