improving digital camera detection

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Jan 18 12:54:59 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 03:47:03PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 15:36 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 21:02 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > Yes, I'm pretty sure that it applies to the Nikon Coolpix 995.
> >
> > CoolPix 995 is not a PTP cam. It is a USB Mass Storage, and AFAIK
> > nothing else.
> >

> Right, but somehow it this device got it's vendor_id and product_id
> in the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap (which for some reason belongs to
> the hotplug package in Fedora, don't ask) which the hal-hotplug-map
> callout scans to determine if a USB device is a camera.

I've seen this with debian users too.. There are apparently vendors who sell
both PtP and usb mass-storage camera's (different models) with the same usb id.
As said before our hal-hotplug-map callout is hacked to detect this case...
I think it was an olympus camera in this case, not sure though..

  Sjoerd
--
Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
		-- R. Geis