hal and bluetooth

Paul Ionescu i_p_a_u_l at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 11:52:49 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:34:41 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:19 +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
>> So that means that we don't show the mice, keyboards, headsets, mobile
>> phones, and other devices attached to it.
>
> You need complex software and UI to handle all the discovery and
> authentication anyway - just like networking (e.g. SMB, IMAP etc.).

We should not mess with the complex software and UI to handle discovery
and authentication, but only to signal the presence and the attributes of
an already connected wireless device (paired and authenticated and active).
I see your point and I don't want either that HAL to do discovery and
authentication and other stuff like this, because this is not his job, but
merely to see that a new device was added in /sysfs and report it to dbus,
to whom it may be interested.

We can even make a comparison between h-d-m and DeviceManager from
M$ Windows, where we also can see virtual devices like VPN, Dialup, and
others.
I think they did not put them there just for fun, but because they needed
them to be there for some reason.

> WUSB is much different, it doesn't have authentication because of the
> short range and various other factors. The only difference, as you point
> out, is really wired vs. wireless.

Bluetooth is also short range (10 meters), and from what I remember, WUSB
will also have some new security features because is wireless.

But lets stop here, I've also read the archives and for now I'm OK with
the answers I got so far. When we'll need them, we'll add them.

Thanks,
Paul