hal and bluetooth

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 19 11:34:41 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:19 +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> So that means that we don't show the mice, keyboards, headsets, mobile
> phones, and other devices attached to it.

You need complex software and UI to handle all the discovery and
authentication anyway - just like networking (e.g. SMB, IMAP etc.).

Search the archives for discussion about scope and why we shouldn't
turn hal into yet another kitchen sink. We should focus on reporting
the hardware physically attached to the system and do that well; if
we don't limit our scope we don't get anything done.

> That make sense today somehow, because they are not physically attached to
> the computer.
> But what about tomorrow when we'll have WUSB devices ?
> WUSB will be transparent from the point of view of applications, the same
> USB library will work, same interfaces, except for the physical link which
> will be air instead of USB cable.

WUSB is much different, it doesn't have authentication because of the
short range and various other factors. The only difference, as you point
out, is really wired vs. wireless.

David