hal and bluetooth

Paul Ionescu i_p_a_u_l at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 16:36:24 PST 2005

Hi David,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:44:36 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I suppose we *could* do this; I don't know much about Bluetooth but I
> guess what we would do would be to add the following device objects
>
>  - Bluetooth Adapter (for instance a USB device)
>   - Bluetooth device (mouse)
>    - Input device    (logical device - input.physdev
>                       pointing to the parent)
>   - Bluetooth device (phone/pda)
>    - Serial port device  (logical device - serial.physdev
>                           pointing to the parent)
>
> The benefit here is that a program only needs to speak with HAL in order
> to discover e.g. input devices or serial devices.
Yes, that was the point. And those devices are already connected.
You will not see in HAL any BT device until is connected.

> Now, I'm not sure is this is a good idea, it seems like a slippery slope,
> in particular I don't know how well this plays with existing Bluetooth
> userspace software (I'm thinking all the hcid, GNOME Bluetooth, KDE
> Bluetooth etc.) - do you know?

Well, for now I think that exporting the adapter and some attributes is
enough.
We will see in time what else might be needed.
So for start I think of the following keys for bluetooth namespace:

mandatory bluetooth.address		string (ex: 00:0d:33:44:33:c6)
mandatory bluetooth.interface		string  (ex: hci0)
mandatory bluetooth.interface_up	int
mandatory bluetooth.linux.driver	string   (ex: hci_usb)
mandatory bluetooth.linux.sysfs_path	string (ex:/sys/class/bluetooth/hci0)
optional bluetooth.HCI_version		int
optional bluetooth.HCI_revision		int
optional bluetooth.LMP_version		int
optional bluetooth.LMP_version		int
optional bluetooth.Manufacturer		string

What do you think of them ?

> Whether we should export what Service Profiles each Bluetooth
device
> supports is also another question.

This will be something for future.

P.S.
I saw that in HAL 4.6 you have some bluetooth functions.
What are they for ?