hal and bluetooth

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jan 21 17:50:15 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 02:36 +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> > The benefit here is that a program only needs to speak with HAL in order
> > to discover e.g. input devices or serial devices.
>
> Yes, that was the point. And those devices are already connected.
> You will not see in HAL any BT device until is connected.

Right - now, how this is implemented is another matter entirely;
e.g. how you do reliably determine that the input device at the
sysfs path /sys/class/input/event3 really stems from some Bluetooth
device?

> > Now, I'm not sure is this is a good idea, it seems like a slippery slope,
> > in particular I don't know how well this plays with existing Bluetooth
> > userspace software (I'm thinking all the hcid, GNOME Bluetooth, KDE
> > Bluetooth etc.) - do you know?
>
> Well, for now I think that exporting the adapter and some attributes is
> enough.

We already do this on HEAD :-)

> We will see in time what else might be needed.
> So for start I think of the following keys for bluetooth namespace:
>
> mandatory bluetooth.address		string (ex: 00:0d:33:44:33:c6)
> mandatory bluetooth.interface		string  (ex: hci0)
> mandatory bluetooth.interface_up	int
> mandatory bluetooth.linux.driver	string   (ex: hci_usb)
> mandatory bluetooth.linux.sysfs_path	string (ex:/sys/class/bluetooth/hci0)
> optional bluetooth.HCI_version		int
> optional bluetooth.HCI_revision		int
> optional bluetooth.LMP_version		int
> optional bluetooth.LMP_version		int
> optional bluetooth.Manufacturer		string
>
> What do you think of them ?

Probably s/bluetooth/bluetooth_hci/ to clarify. Patches against
HEAD for more properties are welcome :-)

> > Whether we should export what Service Profiles each Bluetooth
> device
> > supports is also another question.
>
> This will be something for future.
>

> P.S.
> I saw that in HAL 4.6 you have some bluetooth functions.
> What are they for ?

You must be talking about some of the code on HEAD.

Cheers,
David